Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Drifter...

Not so long ago, someone told me "Hey...it's not good to be drifting for so long you know". As usual I never react fast enough when some someone says something that takes me completely by surprise. So I didn't respond by asking why she thought I was drifting.

I get the impression she thinks so because I do not have a full time job and haven't had one for more than a year now.

It makes me sad and annoyed at the same time when a person chooses to label me as someone who is drifting without asking me beforehand what exactly it is I have been doing with my life just because I prefer to keep some information to myself. I guess I shouldn't care but apparently I do because I feel I need to get this whole thing off my chest.

So let's see...what have I been doing in the last one year or more to qualify me as a "drifter":

1. Jan-April 2006: Went to Egypt to study Arabic.
2. May 2006: Spent two weeks in Sudan working.
3. June-August 2006: Had a 3 month contract to work. Spent two weeks in Jogjakarta indentifying rehabilitation projects and a month in Syria working on Lebanese displaced projects. Plus travelled to Jordan and Sudan for work, and Egypt for a short holiday.
4. July 2006: Spent a week on a training course in Australia.
5. September 2006: Spent two weeks on a training course in Korea.
6. October 2006: Took the month off for Ramadan.
7. November 2006: Attended a few days training course in Bangi.
8. December 2006 - March 2007:

  • Contracted to write two operational manuals for an NGO
  • Went to Thailand to buy supplies to sell at a flea market
  • Started selling household wares at a flea market on Sundays
  • Did a number of voluntary work for two organizations in Johor and KL
  • Conducted a training for an NGO
  • Went for a ToT in India and travelled some

Oh yes...I have been drifting because I haven't been working full time and because I didn't sign a long term contract. I have been drifting because I refuse to work for the only organization in Malaysia that does the kind of humanitarian work I like, on a full time basis for personal reasons. I have been drifting because I have been spending the last 6 months applying for jobs overseas. I have been drifting because I refuse to give up my dream and passion of working in the field and because I want to experience working for a new organization. I have been drifting because I won't beg for help to get me a job somewhere.

If that's the case, then a drifter I am glad to be.

No comments: